80/20 Diet for Weight Loss Without Feeling Deprived

There are numerous and varied types of diets, and when it comes to the best diet for weight loss and effectiveness, there is an abundance of advice and suggestions, leading to confusion. Of course, each body has a suitable dietary regimen, but many nutritionists agree on the idea that adhering to a moderate and healthy lifestyle, consuming daily meals and beverages within a calorie total lower than the metabolic rate, contributes to weight loss. One of the diets that follows this principle is the 80/20 diet. It allows you to eat what you like while adhering to a basic rule to avoid exceeding the recommended daily calorie intake and maintaining good health. What is this rule, and how can one follow the 80/20 diet? Details are provided below.

What is the 80/20 Diet and How Does it Help with Weight Loss?

As the name suggests, the 80/20 diet revolves around consuming healthy foods 80 percent of the time and indulging in whatever you like 20 percent of the time. For weight loss, this diet is implemented by consuming a proportion of food that equals the total daily or weekly calorie intake, staying below the individual’s metabolic rate. Thus, the 80/20 diet is considered one of the flexible dietary plans, meaning it does not restrict individuals with a rigid system or a specific schedule.

How to Follow the 80/20 Diet.

The first method: If you typically have 5 meals in a day, for example, this means you can have 4 healthy meals, constituting 80% of your day, and one unhealthy meal, representing the remaining 20%.

The second method: Consume only healthy meals throughout the week, making up 80%, and allow for some unhealthy meals during the weekend, totaling 5, which represents the remaining 20%.

What are the allowed foods in the 80/20 diet?

Foods that make up 80%:

  • Whole grains in all their forms
  • Seeds such as flaxseeds or quinoa
  • Vegetables like spinach, cucumber, cabbage, tomato, green peas, broccoli, and others
  • Fruits such as oranges, apricots, cherries, watermelon, and others
  • Nuts like walnuts, almonds, and hazelnuts
  • Dairy products such as milk, yogurt, labneh, and cheese
  • Lean meats
  • Chicken
  • Rice
  • Eggs
  • Foods rich in healthy fats like avocados and raw nuts
  • Whole wheat baked goods
  • Tea and healthy herbal drinks
  • Fish such as salmon and tuna.

Foods that make up 20%:

  • Burgers
  • Pizza
  • Sweets
  • Fatty meats
  • Fried foods such as french fries, fried cauliflower, and others
  • Processed and canned foods
  • Packaged juices
  • Manufactured baked goods
  • Ice cream”

Benefits of the 80/20 Diet:

  • Easy to Follow: The 80/20 diet is not a restrictive plan, as you can consume anything within the guideline we explained above.
  • All Foods Are Allowed: In the 80/20 dietary system, there are no forbidden foods. You can enjoy everything you like, but in moderation.
  • No Deprivation: If you have a party or a special night out, you can still enjoy delicious foods like a restaurant meal or birthday cake and ice cream.
  • Promotes Healthy Habits: Since you consume nutritious foods 80% of the time, you learn to adopt a healthy lifestyle.
  • Suitable for Everyone: Anyone can try this dietary system as it does not require avoiding or restricting specific foods entirely. Therefore, if you are gluten-free, following a vegetarian diet, diabetic, or have allergies, the 80/20 diet could be suitable for you. However, as always, consult with a nutritionist or doctor first.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button